History of the Stadium

History of the Stadium

The stage of the SSC Napoli

Napoli’s San Paolo Stadium, inaugurated in 1959, is the third largest in Italy, after Milan’s Meazza Stadium and Rome’s Olimpico. Situated in the Fuorigrotta neighbourhood, it measures 110 by 68 meters. It was remodelled for the 1980 European Championship and again for the World Cup hosted by Italy in 1990, when a covering and a new 330-seat press stand were installed, the track and lighting systems were redone and the stadium was brought up to FIFA safety standards. With an 8-lane track, three sports gyms, a boxing gym, a fitness gym and a wrestling and martial arts gym, San Paolo has become Naples’ major sports centre.

 

The sectors of the San Paolo Stadium